||Explore the elements of design that make a great painting with award-winning San Jose artist Jen Norton. This will be an ongoing class tailored to the needs of the class or students. All levels are welcome!
We will discover how to create pleasing compositions from any subject matter, learn about color theory, work with values, and explore textures as we complete works of art. Some days, students will have the chance to get feedback and work on their own personal projects. On others, we will work together on class-directed pieces. Emphasis will always be on good design, improving technique and discovering our own visual voice.
Students may work in acrylic or watercolor (or even a little of both). We may experiment with enhancements of collage, pastel, pencil or other drawing tools. Students who wish to use watercolor may paint on watercolor paper or illustration board. Students who wish to work in acrylic may work on canvas, canvas board or watercolor paper.
Class Materials or Supply List (for student to bring):
• Painting Surface: 140lb or 300lb watercolor paper OR canvas OR illustration board. Recommend working on sizes between 8x10" and 16x20"
• Paint: a warm and cool version of red, yellow and blue. For acrylic painters, a black and white as well. (Cadmium Red, Rose or Quinacridone Red; Cobalt or Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue; Cadmium Yellow, Lemon Yellow). Professional-grade paints will give you much better results, but student-grade will work if your budget is tight. Students working in acrylic may use either Heavy Body, Fluid or a combination of both. If you use Heavy, you may also want to purchase some Fluid Matte Medium to thin colors. Other colors or mediums may be suggested as class progresses.
• Water canister, paper towels, palette
• Brushes of different sizes, appropriate to your medium
• Tracing paper
• Sharpie pens, black in both thick and thin
• Pencil, kneaded eraser
• Seral transfer paper (black for most cases)
IMPORTANT: Minimum Requirement for Enrollment is 4 students and max 10